Checklist in the head
I made this list and put it above my computer. I'm not going to be a slave to look at this all of the time but I think it will be useful for when I'm stuck on a piece and can't figure out the problem.
- Are there any tangents?
- Where do lines lead?
- Have long lines been broken up?
- Are the silhouettes interesting?
- Where's the point of highest value contrast?
- Where's the point of highest color contrast?
- Where's the point of highest texture contrast?
- Where's the point of highest shape contrast?
- Are the colors harmonious?
- Do the colors support focal point?
- Is image cool or warm? (Can't be both)
- Is it saturated?
- Are there subtleties?
- Has perspective been drawn out?
- Has necessary reference been used?
- Is there an atmosphere?
- Are the light sources clear?
- What time of day is it?
- Are the figures stiff?
- Does the skin feel like skin?
- Have I remembered to consider transparency?
- Are there soft,hard and lost edges?
- Are the details in the shadows or light? (Can't be both)
- Has movement been indicated?
- What's the mood?
- Does the image tell the story?